"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
- Confuscious.
So idealistic is this statement that I'd never thought it'll ever happen to me.
I remember the first time I met Zinc at Suntec Coffeebean almost 2 years ago. We were doing some self-introduction and she told me she was a NUS business grad. I was really surprised and asked her if she had ever thought of changing job. She smiled at me and said very calmly while looking straight into my eyes, no.
I didn't believe her then, but now, I do. With every fiber of my being, I finally understood what she meant.
As I'm writing this entry, it's a sunny wednesday afternoon. Yes, I didn't go to work today!! And yes, I don't have to if I don't want to. Take that suckers! hahaha...
What job can possibily give you this extent of freedom? Property? Trading?? Dude, as I'm typing I'm still enjoying a passive income!! I'm getting paid even if I don't work!
hehehe... right, enough of work. Today, I tried to be adventurous. Well, to a certain extent. Seeing the delicious golden rays of sun, I decided to take my blades out and head down to the park nearby, intending to sweat out layers of fat that had accumulated due to my busy schedule/mission to earn money.
The journey to the park was perilous. Rocky pathment, unable to stop without assistance at the road junctions and a series of minor slopes before I could reach my destination.
Yet, to my horror, at the start of the park is a major motherF**king scary slope!!! ARGH!!! My bad, it didn't occurred to me that the slope might cause a problem as on normal days when I go there for a jog, slopes are irrelevent.
SO I took a good 30 mins before I managed to psyche up enough courage to take the first step. "Ring!" - What the...
"hello?"
"Hi is this esther?"
"yes?"
"Esther this is Elise from policy-servicing, you have an investment top-up case for Mr XXX?"
"yes, what about it?"
"We need your manager's approval in order to process the case urgently."
"ah ok, is it possible that my manager submits a memo to state that he supports the recommendation?"
"yes that is fine too."
"ok, I'll get it done tmr as I'm actually blading right now, deciding to go down a slope or not."
Girlish laughter on the other side.
"Sorry how do i address you again?"
"I'm elise"
"Thanks Elise, I'll make sure it's done tmr. Pray that I'll make it through in one piece in the next 5 mins."
Girlish laughter again.
"ok. good luck."
"thanks"
I took a deep breathe while putting my phone back into the waist pouch.
Music please!! "Here... we... go! baby where you get your body from? baby where you get your body from..."
ARGH! Music was killed by an ugly sound of rubber scrapping on the cement and followed by the sick sound of my bump hitting the group. My dorsal side skidded a metre across the hot, hard cement.
I curl to my right side as pain attacked my senses. "Ring!" This cant be happening...
'Hello?" (panting from pain)
"Eh, where are you?" (My JC and Unimate, mikeller who happened to work in tanjong pagar area too.
"In sembawang... why leh?"
"Kopi la"
"Aiyo charbo, I just fell while blading down a slope... can't you hear i'm in pain??"
"hahaha... why today no need to work?"
"coz I don't feel like working la."
"Eh dinner leh.."
"ah? you want me to head down town injured??"
"Thought you're going out tonight?"
"Dunnoe leh... Bro havent confirm anything.."
"Dinner first la"
"What time?"
"6 plus?"
"make it 7 then." I need time to wash up and put medication."
"ok"
"see you"
Total damage: 3/4 of my left butt is scrapped, both my elbows are bleeding and my bump is really really sore~!
Funny isnt it? I'm not ashamed that I fell. It's alright to fall. Afterall, I'm really an amateur in roller-blading. I'm proud to overcome my fear and just do it.
The rush of adrenaline is fantastic, so is the fear of falling. I think i will still try again. The thought that helped me overcome my fear is remembering what Mr Bernard Ho said: It's alright to be afraid. In fact it is perfectly normal to fear something, courage is the ability to overcome the fear and do it. Courage doesnt mean there's no fear, it means you tried to overcome it. :)
It's the same for my job, calling people that you've never met before is a very scary thing to me. Calling people that I've met on the streets is also a very scary thing because of the natural fear of rejection/failure. I'm proud to say that everyday, I'm getting more and more courageous, with every 1 hr of the day I allocate to do calliing. :)
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Esther Esther Esther ... My beloved , flamboyant ... extravagant DARLING E ! oh how much you've grown kid .. feels almost strange .. .calling u "kid" but i guess it's the same fuzzy feeling parents OR older siblings feel when they see their beloved return with bruises , scrapes or cuts .
ReplyDeletei've seen you fall numerous times kid ... BUT ! and i'm not sayin this just cos you're soon to be promoted .. BUT you always bounce right back and even more admirably ... you always have such a cheeky grin : eyes shut , teeth baring when u show off ur new battle wounds ... ROFL .. *shakes head*
It's EXACTLY this INdomitable spirit that i feel so many who've been in this line for so long can take a lesson or two from ... you seem to understand the fundamental truth that is that EVERYONE falls .. yet not all get back up ... AND ...fewer still pursue THAT same dream with renewed zeal and anticipation as though the falls are part of the process and to be enjoyed as you proceed to the eventuality that is your success .
i Look forward to your success kid ... while nursing an aching heart as you show off AND shrug off your newly acquired wounds . OUTSTANDING , KId .. simply outstanding ..
You are sooooo right. Ours is the only job that not only gives the flexibility BUT also the satisfaction of arranging our own schedule!
ReplyDeleteI kinda agree with you on the fear part. Definitely as human beings I guess most of us if not all have this fear of the unknown. Call it natural survival instincts or what, almost everyone fears the unknown or unfamiliar. But from now on I'm gonna draw courage from what u said and overcome that fear everyday. It's what gives me satisfaction at the end of the day and tells me that I've done my job if I've overcome fear.