Today, I had an appointment with a JC mate at the new West Coast Plaza.
We were happily settling down at Petit Provance cafe when he suddenly exclaimed: shit.
What happened was, his E-Z Link card slipped out of his pocket while he was taking his wallet out. well it wont be such an issue should the floor we're on is just plain cement. But no, it's actually a platform made of long wooden planks nailed together, and there's gaps in between each planks. So, it's mysteriously unlucky for my friend that his card happen to drop straight through the gap! What made it worst was his card has 70 dollars cash value inside!!!
Initially my friend wanted to just write it off. But I refuse to let him give up so easily. There's bound to be a way. I mean, I can write it off if it's 10/20 dollars. But it's 70 bucks!! the F.C in me cant allow such an amt of money go to waste!!
Immediately, I went into the cafe to grabe 2 knife, hoping to make a miracle happen. It was difficult. The gap was wide enough for the knives to reach the card, but not enough to achieve our objective.
I went to the 7/11 store nearby, in search of a pair of chopsticks. No luck.
I stood in front of the counter, looking around to see if there's something that would be useful to us. TING TING! Found it! I bought a roll of scotch-tape, thinking that if we can stick one end to the card, we may be able to fish it out.
Well, it wasnt that easy. While i was searching for a tool in the store to improvise our strategy, my fren manages to push the card further away from our sight.
We tried to tape the end of the knife, or a straw but to no available. Eventually, the card was pushed right under the plank, thus out of sight. My friend sighed and tapped me on the shoulder, 'forget it esther. It's fine, I'll get a replacement for it.'
I refuse to acknowledge his words. Mind you, I was wearing an off-shoulder top and low hip jeans. I was literally giving a free show to people walking past us. But I just don't believe we cant retrieve it! Out of 'disbelief', I shove a straw into the adjacent gap, hoping to re-position the card within out sight. And, vola!
I managed to move the card into an advantageous position for us to retrieve and the rest is history!!
There's many factors/reasons why I refuse to give up.
1) we just started our coffee session, I don't want to feel guilty with his card beneath us, reminding him that he lost $70 bucks due to ULTRA bad luck.
2) I just want to enjoy this catching-up/open-case appointment with my friend.
3) I just don't believe we cant retrieve it.
4) I don't give up unless I've really tried my best.
Of course, not giving up may not always work if you don't improvise your strategy. We changes tactics at least 3 times!
Whatever it is, the coffee session ended up really great, I can feel my friend was really happy to be able to save himself $70 and I am very happy to be able to help!
:)
Okay, Batam! Here I come!!
PS: Opened. *winks.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment